market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] is the list quiet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] is the list quiet
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 22:17:48 -0400

Even with the heavy rains I imagine most folks are fairly busy and thus quiet.

We just had our first day without rain in nearly two weeks and 288 of 300 acres is still under water from flooding along the Ohio.  Water is heading back down though.

Just planted 1388 row feet of radishes today, transplanted beds of bee balm and thyme, and put in our 8th successive crop of green onions. We also managed to complete some VERY late pruning fruit trees and grapes all of which are bearing fruit.  Its been a horrible season so far for the bees with cool temps and lots of rain.   I get 34 packages next week, two of which I install on the Hilton in downtown Cincinnati.

The exterior of our packing shed/cool bot is nearly done (rain days!) and I have 300 pounds of cut potatoes (half of what we will be planting this year) that we cut prior to flooding that have been sitting for a three weeks now.  We purchased a single row Lockwood planter and have yet to use it and its May before we set one tuber which means poor yields.

That said its been our best year so far in terms of business with chefs and sales at FM.

Good things and bad things.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio