market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] vinyl mini-blinds as plant markers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] vinyl mini-blinds as plant markers
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 19:18:45 -0400

Thanks, Leslie.   I replaced my hoses to eliminate contamination and went whole hog with mini blind markers.  Ayyy.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
Cochrane, DOMINICA
767-449-3038 (before 7 P.M.)

On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Leslie Moyer wrote:

I was reminded the other day, when I came across a warning about lead paint & lead poisoning, that vinyl mini-blinds are sometimes (often?) a source of lead contamination.  Since they have been mentioned on this list as a cheap source of plant markers, I thought I'd pass along the warning.  These aren't limited to "old" mini blinds....this contamination is found in vinyl mini blinds imported from Mexico and Asia and I found alerts as recently as 2010 and it was very common before 1997.  You can find many links if you do a search for "mini blinds lead" on google.

--Leslie