market-farming - [Market-farming] How does your market assign vendor spaces?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] How does your market assign vendor spaces?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:31:15 -0400

Our market uses three factors to assign vendors in spaces:
---distance of farm from market
---years selling at market
---unique items offered by vendor (less weight than other two)

This market, like many others, has grown to the point there are more
vendors wanting to sell than spaces in the covered area where most
customers walk. Extra spaces are out in an adjacent lawn area.

After 4 years selling there, we have been assigned a spot in the lawn,
no longer under the shelter. Primarily because we live 22 miles away,
in an adjacent county. Bought our current farm there just under 3
years ago, as could not afford good grazing land in the metropolitan
county where market is located. We looked for 18 months before moving
farther out, to enough acres to enable a full-time income.

A member of the Steering Committee has asked for additional criteria
for point tiebreakers. The formula for assigning vendors may also be
altered. How does your market assign vendor spaces?

Ours currently does not consider volume of sales, or number of weeks
you sell at market. We're having a meeting this Mon, and the point
system to assign vendor spaces will be discussed.

At a more fundamental level, how are/should farmers market policies be
set, to encourage/enable local food production? What levels of food
production, and how local?

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA