market-farming - [Market-farming] Holding Dormant Strawberry Plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Holding Dormant Strawberry Plants
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:22:31 -0400

Folks - I got in a shipment of 1000 dormant strawberry plants
yesterday. Because of the weather, I don't have the beds ready and,
because of the weather, I probably can't get beds made (properly) for
another week.

Has anyone has luck holding dormant strawberry plants that long?

I'm not seeing instructions at Nourse and from that get the
implication that holding them without a 28 degree cooler and such is
simply not going to work.

(I think I'm just asking for someone to tell me to put them in the
dark of the root cellar and plant them when I get to them.)

What would you do?

Thanks

-Allan in WV where we had high 70's a week ago (and, yes, I got a lot
of other stuff done then) and snow predicted for this coming week.