market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato taste

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato taste
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 13:24:40 -0600

I wish I understood better the environmental effects on tomato taste.
I had some normally very good heirlooms produce rather bland tomatoes
last year. I wonder if the over-abundant rain and cool temps could
have had an impact.

Among the best tomatoes for us have been Aunt Ruby's German green (the
best tasting tomato in my opinion), an unnamed type grown from seed
brought to me from the Republic of Georgia, the bright tasting little
orange juan flamme and an italian heirloom beefstake type.

Joe
Boone, IA
5a