market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cropping lettuce leaves

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cropping lettuce leaves
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:40:47 -0800 (PST)

Wendy,

That is how I harvest my lettuce for salad mixes. I transplant out seedlings then just snap off the larger leaves and leave the top to grow.  It works for me. It takes a little longer than just clear cutting a patch, but I feel like a waste a lot if I don't sell it.  Lettuce sales have been very hit and miss for me. Doing it this way, if I don't sell it at market, I know that I will have more the next time because the plant is still living at home.  I usually harvest for 30-40 days off the same plant.   I am limited for space and this is an easy way for me to have alot of production off a small area.  I harvest a plant every other week usually.

Red Sails, Salad Bowl, Romaine and Black seeded Simpson all work well for me.

Does anyone else do it this way?

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas