market-farming - [Market-farming] bees and cell phones

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] bees and cell phones
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:42:27 -0500

It is my bee mentor's observation that having a cell phone on when close to the hives makes them irritable.  He is a pretty good observer. I don't think he has a cell phone, so he would have gotten the observation from another beekeeper, but when I started out and would go watch/ "help" him to learn, he demanded no cell phones.

Which reminds me: I got quite the start last week when I thought I'd quickly lift off the lid, slap an empty box on and lay a jar of crystallized honey in by the hole in the inner cover.  I had checked the hives two days previously and this one was getting up near the top. I lifted the lid and they came boiling out at me.  Even in summer my girls are usually calm, but not that day.  No animal tracks in the snow.  The only thing I can think that ticked them off was that when I had been down the other time, to make sure they weren't snowed in, as I cleared their entrance I also took a twig and pulled out dead bees to be sure the entrance wasn't clogged.  They may have remembered that and correlated it with the noisy snow shoes.

I went ahead and gave the other hive a jar of honey and they were totally docile, but also not up to the top yet.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe