market-farming - [Market-farming] mulching

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] mulching
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:19:19 -0500

This talk of mulching pathways reminds of a different approach to vegetable farming. I know of a longtime successful veg farmer on very hilly land. He makes his "fields" 25 feet up/down the hill and up to 300+ feet long. He plants up/down, only 25 foot rows.  Once plants are planted, all weeding is handwork, but they seem to have it under control. I keep thinking of adopting this because it would help control my overplanting. Can reduce the amount of land is aisles.  Not for narrow plastic, but could work with wide landscape cloth.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe