market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting sweet corn
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:43:57 -0500 (EST)

We do as much via transplanting as possible.  In fact it's actually the exception when we do direct-seeding.  Our springs are just so cloudy, damp and cool, it takes forever for our soils to come up to good germination temps.  A lot easier to grow as much as possible in trays, either with root zone heating or just a slightly warmer ambient temp, then harden them off and move them out to the fields when both the plants and the soils are a little farther along.

I have used row covers for other crops and debated it with corn, but never used it with corn (yet).  Wire worm is one of our bigger pests here, and yesterday I spent some time reading through various guides for how to minimize that.  The jury is out on whether row covers help or hurt.

Given the info I've gotten here, plus being reminded by locals that wire worm will likely be an even bigger issue than average on that hay field, I'm backing down my plans for this year for that parcel.  I'll try to be content with some experimental plots to test my ideas on a small scale, and putting out lots of wireworm bait traps to get a feel for the level of infestation we have on that parcel.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA