market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] can I crimp an old hayfield to create a no-tillmulched c...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] can I crimp an old hayfield to create a no-tillmulched c...
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:36:28 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the feedback.  I wondered if it would work on perennial grasses; I had not seen that listed anywhere which raised something of a yellow flag.

I got the idea for the repeated shallow tillage from Eric and Anne Nordell's conversion of an old hay field into their market crop space, as detailed in their video Weed The Soil, Not The Crop.  I had gotten that video for other reasons but when they said they started with old hayfield, that caught my attention.  But your idea of tillage then planting with a short-season cover crop is also a darn good one.  I had planned on this being my "conversion" year for that parcel and not getting any grain crop from that area until next year at the earliest.  Started reading about crimpers in another context and started to think hmmmm, I wonder.....

Still wondering if there's a way to knock down that current grass this year, and plant into it this year with the old grass as a mulch, without going the herbicides route.  If that's really my only option, I'll wait and use non-chemical means this year then plant next year.  But if anyone has any other ideas how to do that, I'd love to hear them.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA