market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:19:05 -0600

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for
Yes, the storage is my main hesitation.  We grew when last year, harvested it by hand and then had no clue what to do with it (typical of us :) ).  I put it into big trash bags and have been feeding it periodically to the chickens, stems and all.  It keeps them busy for a while.  Everyone says that there are grain storage bins just sitting on farms all over – but we haven’t found them yet.

Our eggs were $3 a dozen last year and we’re going to $3.50 for the CSA this year.  And, yes, the prices for questionable, mass-produced eggs are getting close to that and you know they aren’t being fed like ours are.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, KS