market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomato and Coconut Core production questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Gary Scott <twinspringsfarmva AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomato and Coconut Core production questions
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 08:55:06 -0800

I have a two part question about tomato production:

I grew late season tomatoes in Coconut Core for the first time during the end of the hottest summer on record here in Central VA.  I took soil from every other row in one filed and doubled the soil depth in the other rows. I then used coconut core in 5 gallon pots and transplanted tomato & cucumbers plants, then placed them in the rows where I removed soil, put up hog panels on T posts and clipped them to the panels as they grew, had tomatoes until frost set in, worked better than I expected, Peacevine Cherry and Zebras did the best.

Question #1 has anyone re-used Coconut Core for a 2nd planting in high tunnel production or core that was exposed outside? My idea is to take the coconut core mix with Compost and feed the plants as needed, what do you think,or should I just compost the old core? I have enough core to do at least 75 to 100 pots. I wanted to use them in one of my high tunnels.

Question #2 what are your favorite cherry and slicing tomato varieties for early season high tunnel production?

Thanks!

--
Gary Scott
Twin Springs Farm

Live like you will die tomorrow… farm like you will live forever !

  • [Market-farming] Tomato and Coconut Core production questions, Gary Scott, 12/31/2010