market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cherry Tomato Variety Results

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cherry Tomato Variety Results
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:49:09 -0800 (PST)

Kim,

I am glad you asked, I am starting up the seed orders and I was looking at cherry tomatoes last night.

I wasn't impressed with the Isis Candy. They weren't very productive.  They had a neat color, but my wife wasn't impressed with the flavor.  I quit picking them for individual baskets, however, I always tried to throw in a few for my mixed baskets.  They also were very large, almost " shooter marble" to golf ball size. Many customers wanted smaller ones.

Snow White, good flavor, good color, not the best sellers. I will probably try them again next year for the color aspect, just a few for mixed baskets.

Impressed by:

Red Pearl and Golden Sweet from Johnny's
They are red and yellow grape tomatoes. Productive, crack resistant and good flavored.

Still my favorites:
Sweet Millions
Tomatoberry
SunGold
Sweet Gold (yellow)
Black Cherry
Red Tumbling Tomatoes (in hanging baskets)
Yellow Tumbling Tomatoes (in hanging baskets)

Still grow, just because
Red Pear
Yellow Pear

I am looking for another colored one or different shaped one to add to the mixed baskets.

About the Tumbling Toms, I am going to try to grow them in troughs on the outside walls of my tunnels. I figure I can plant another 70-80 plants this way.  They are really productive earlier in the season, and don't require much room.  I sell out of cherry tomatoes every week in the end of June, all of July and early August.  Then demand slows down. However, I feel that I could pick another 30-40 pints a week off these tumbling toms and have more to sell during peak demand.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com