market-farming - [Market-farming] low tunnels or quick hoops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] low tunnels or quick hoops
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:48:19 -0800 (PST)

Is anyone on here using quick hoops made of pvc or emt?  If so, what are you using to cover them (material and weight), and how are you anchoring the covers.

I've currently got about 9,600 s.f.  of quick hoops out,and I'm using the lightest row cover (.55 oz, agribon 19).  I've got EMT hoops every 6 feet, with sandbags at every hoop or every other hoop.   I'm happy with the degree of protection I'm getting, but the material is a little too fragile; I've only had them on for about 3 weeks, and I've already got a lot of tears in the fabric.  I'm wondering what others experience has been with different coverings.
Thanks for the input,
Curtis

Curtis and Sarah Millsap
Millsap Farm