market-farming - [Market-farming] Poultry litter and Soil sources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Burke Farm <burkefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Poultry litter and Soil sources
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:57:32 -0500

Hi folks,

I'm in z5, central IN.

1) I'm looking for somewhere to buy a certified-organic-OK soil-block
mix that I don't have to truck across the country. Anyone have a
midwest source? Pro-mix type mixes aren't heavy enough. If you know
of a good regional compost I might think about mixing my own, but am
hoping to avoid that this year. Shipping from Vermont is expensive.

2) The farmer who rents our conventional ground is considering
spreading poultry litter next season instead of conventional
fertilizer. I raise free range, organically-fed broilers and layers
outdoors on nearby/ adjacent land. What are your thoughts on the
likelihood of disease being spread to my chickens from this poultry
litter?

Lisa Burke
Farming Engineers LLC