market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Aphids, tearing out plants and Replanting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Aphids, tearing out plants and Replanting
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 23:26:29 -0500

Might as well plant as you have planned...the aphids will be there, but they are everywhere all the time anyway spending the winter under shelter, lurking in any cozy place.  I have used all the usual controls and they all work, but I count on good soil and fertility to help the plants win the race until the day when I can open the houses-in zone 5-and welcome back all the the aphid predators.  I do control ants a bit more aggressively when I find them in a tunnel/house because they will move the aphids around.
Carefully time the introduction of lady bugs-mid February here
Shawnee, zone 5