market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] a research project is born

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] a research project is born
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:16:50 -0400

I was a suburban kid who got a land-grant ag degree. At that time (early 80's) there were only 19 undergrads in
Plant and Soil. The enrollment in other ag related degrees was similar, although enrollment at the two year programs
was higher. Meanwhile, other majors had thousands of students (and long lines).
Fortunately, for me, I had an uncle recommend early on the importance of practical experience. I expected
and got the science education at school and farmside I got the experience in hard work, how to grow organically, how
to run a farm, etc. The way I look at it, each part did what they did best. While I think we could make some broad generalizations
about "kids" today, I do think that we sometimes expect 20 year olds to know what we know without the benefit of experience. The
college kids that worked for me didn't know a thing about selling at a market on day one and I didn't expect it. But by the end of the
summer, they sure had a good idea.

Due to it's nature, land grant ag is always going to be research driven- focused on the specific. It's the nature of the beast.
However, the most radical thing a land grant ag program could do is take a liberal arts approach and graduate students who have
fully developed their intellect and rational thought capabilities along with knowledge of soils, animals, insects, plants, etc. Then,
students (and their parents) might feel like they have options to farm, further their education or switch careers if farming doesn't work out.

Regards,
Mike
Idyllwild Farm