market-farming - [Market-farming] It's Conference Season!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: 'High tunnel discussion list' <HIGHTUNNELS AT LISTSERV.KSU.EDU>, market farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, SANET Listserv <SANET-MG AT LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
  • Cc: "'JEANMILLS AT aol.com'" <JEANMILLS AT aol.com>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] It's Conference Season!
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 15:47:41 +0000

Good morning!

Our last farmers' market for the season was Saturday. 'Course, now we start
the delivery season, but the pace is somewhat different! During the "off"
season, we find that conferences are a great way to network with other
growers, learn new strategies, and just plan have fun!

We have a short schedule this season. On November 10th, (yep, next week),
Paul will be presenting on high tunnels at LSU:
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/calendar/?id=C32288A4-A596-4D16-BAA9-5E65DA1861BE

At the Kentucky Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference, January 4th and 5th,
Paul will give a short talk on growing winter vegetables in high tunnels.
http://kyvga.org/Conference2010REG.pdf

January 14th and 15th, we will be attending the Oklahoma/Arkansas
Horticulture Industries Show in
Ft Smith Arkansas: http://www.hortla.okstate.edu/his.htm The theme this
year is: "4 Season Farming: Meeting the Demand for Locally Grown Specialty
Crops Year Round". We'll be keynote speakers both days, as well as being on a
panel and doing a presentation to the vegetable growers. We were invited by
the Kerr Center to present at this conference several years ago when it was
in Tulsa, and really enjoyed it! So, if you are close enough to attend, try
to!

And, the conference closest to our hearts, the Southern Sustainable
Agriculture Working Group Conference, in beautiful Chattanooga again this
year, January 19-22. At this conference,
http://www.ssawg.org/conference-.html Paul and I will be presenting a high
tunnel short course (12 hours, 1.5 days) pre-conference. It will be focused
on growers with some growing experience, but new to high tunnels.

Pre-Conference, There will also be mini courses and farm tours, and for the
regular conference schedule, loads of fabulous sessions in several tracks for
two full days. Paul and I have looked at the schedule, and even with us
going to separate sessions, there are more sessions we'd like to attend that
we will be able to! So, something for everyone!

And don't forget vendors. It's great fun to visit the vendors and see all
the cool things we'd like to have to enhance our farming! We always find
something we REALLY NEED!

And, Chattanooga has to be the friendliest large city we have ever visited.
You will love riding the electric buses (free) to food, shopping and
entertainment destinations. Park your vehicle for the entire conference.

Of course, there are many other conferences, all over the US, so find one
that works for you. Try to make the investment in time and funds to go to at
least one conference this winter. It's a great way to learn new techniques
and get motivated for the next season. After all, by the end of January,
many of us are IN the next season :)

Have fun! Hope to see some of you in Ft. Smith, and/or Chattanooga.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

  • [Market-farming] It's Conference Season!, Wiediger, Alison, 11/01/2010