market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Turnip and Greens prices and Carrot Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Turnip and Greens prices and Carrot Prices
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:24:20 -0700 (PDT)

I sell Haikuri turnips for $1.50 a bunch.  Not sure on weight, but 3 huge ones, 4 large, 5 medium, 7-8 small ones.  Huge is baseball sized and up, medium is a little bigger than golfball and small is anything that were pulled on accident.  Large marble up to golfball sized.

After I lowered to $1.50,  I have been selling out most weeks.

I have been selling carrots for the last month or longer and I am wondering about price.  Since I don't use any chemicals, sprays or fertilizer, I compare prices to organic carrots at supermarkets. They have 6 carrots for over $2.00 each.

I started out at $2.00 a bag. The bag was a pound.  12-14 carrots.  They didn't sell.  I can't leave the tops on, packing limitation, but I do leave about an inch of green on the top.  Now I bag up half pound bags, more work, for $1.00 a bag and I have been selling out all the time.

Strange, but price has been a very touchy thing this year for me.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com