market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sheila Payne <srp75 AT msn.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter Markets
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:44:10 -0600

The Boulder County Farmer's markets have two such markets.  I have not personally participated, other than as a shopper, as I just don't have enough stuff left by that time to do so.  But they have been successful enough that it is being repeated for the  4th year for the Christmas market which is inside and also in a covered outside area at our county's fairgrounds.  The Thanksgiving market will be offered for the 2nd time this year and is at our normal outdoor location...but our customers are used to early and late season bad weather (5500 feet above sea level, we see it all).  http://www.boulderfarmers.org/marketnews.html

The T-day market is producers and prepared food vendors only.  The Christmas market includes the carefully screened craft vendors that are allowed at the market once per month (or so) during the season.  Their presence at the Christmas market in my opinion is a must to fill the space -- to make it look bountiful and to bring in the shoppers that want gifts in addition to food.

The market has been promoting these events for a few weeks now in newsletters, facebook, and on the website.  I think getting the awareness out there to the shoppers is a critical success factor.   In addition, the farmers, food vendors and craft folks have been prepped for this from the beginning of the season so that they can be planning appropriately.  You could call the BCFM office number on the website and get a more detailed  perspective from the market manager.

Sheila
Far Out Gardens
Boulder County, Colorado