market-farming - [Market-farming] one of the problems with reporting on scientific issues NYTimes.com

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrunfarm AT hughes.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] one of the problems with reporting on scientific issues NYTimes.com
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 21:29:03 -0400

Mike,

Maybe I'm misreading the nyt article but I noticed when a reporter friend forwarded the article to me last Friday that besides the long out take on how the reporter finds it interesting that the military and private researchers are working together, that the article actually doesn't say the virus and the fungus cause ccd. (forget what the headline says, reporters don't write their own headlines and quite often headline writers don't even understand the gist of what the reporter is saying). The article only goes so far to say that in cases of ccd the virus and fungus pairing are often found in the bodies of the dead bees. This doesn't mean, by a long shot, that those two things cause ccd. It's much the same as jumping to the conclusion in cases of people dying after receiving a bullet wound that because the dead's body always contained a specific bacteria and a specific virus that gun shots are caused by the two.

Something else could be the causing ccd. Many European countries are banning neonicotinoid type pesticides particularly imidacloprid because it too has a connection with ccd. In this case the European research has gone a step further than the research reported in the Times, when bees do not come in contact with imadacloprid or its residue, they do not die of ccd. That still doesn't prove that imidacloprid causes ccd, though, but it comes a lot closer.

Leigh

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/science/07bees.html?_r=1

An interesting article on honeybee colony collapse disorder.
The cause might have been found, now for the cure.

Mike