market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Natural II seed treatment for sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dalew Farms" <dalew AT phonenet.ca>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Natural II seed treatment for sweet corn
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:51:14 -0400

I've had some of our sweet corn varieties with the Nat. II coating from Johnny's this year and last. This spring was very hot and dry (way above average) and I didn't see a huge difference between Nat II and untreated. The Nat II varieties did emerge a bit quicker, but that might have simply been because they were shorter day (65-70) varieties than the untreated ones (77-79days) However, last spring I did see a HUGE difference. We had a prolonged cold and wet spring, and the only variety of corn that emerged well enough to leave had the Nat II coating. After that experience, I'll use the Nat II coating whenever I can make it work into my variety choices from now on. (partially because I can't just wait and see what kind of year its going to be when I order my sweet corn in Dec!) I can't honestly compare Nat II to conventional fungicide treatments for sweet corn because I haven't used any of those since I started market gardening.

For sweet corn varieties, I'm still looking for one more variety to fill in a bit of a space in my harvest window. I have early varieties I'm happy with, and mid range ones at the 70 day (Sugar Buns) and a late 77 day (Honey Select) but would like something else in between those two. Anyone else been growing Mystique? (74 days) It looks like it would fit well for me, and I can't remember why I didn't try it this year! :(

Dave

We've had 3 frosts allready, but not a "freeze" quite yet.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lova Andriamanjay" <lova.andriamanjay AT gmail.com>