market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] gmo - Soy-free, Corn-free Chicken Feed: Why?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chrys Ostrander <chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] gmo - Soy-free, Corn-free Chicken Feed: Why?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 06:56:28 -0700

I had mentioned in my post about chicken feed that I am dealing with certified organic feed. Certified organic chicken feed that contains corn and soy is "supposed" to be GMO-free, however, contamination of organic soy and corn is increasing. Back in 2001, "...organic corn and soy products [were found to contain] GM material at 0.1 percent or lower. In a study analyzing organic soy products, Genetic ID [a private testing service] found fewer than 5 percent of samples contained more than 0.1 percent GM material."
http://naturalfoodsmerchandiser.com/tabId/110/itemId/869/pageId/11/Minimal-GMO-Contamination-Found-in-Organic-Product.aspx

However, in a more recent article from The Organic and Non-GMO Report, a spokesperson for an anonymous organic growers' organization is paraphrased as saying "as many as one-third of organic corn loads test positive for GMOs at a low level. 'Ears of corn may have a handful of kernels that test positive. All we know is it's becoming an increasingly difficult issue' [he said] ".
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_20568.cfm

And in 2009, John Fagan, PhD, chairman and chief scientific officer at Genetic ID said  “It is definitely more of a problem now. There are some sectors of the industry where you can find double-digit levels of contamination.”
http://nutritionbusinessjournal.com/natural-organics/news/0324-organic-seeds-increasingly-danger-gmo-contamination/

The Organic Consumers Assoc. cites the following: "Consuming milk and meat from animals fed crops that are genetically engineered is also risky. In a survey of milk products sold in stores in Italy, results from the screening of 60 samples of 12 different milk brands demonstrated the presence of GM maize sequences in 15 (25%) and of GM soybean sequences in 7 samples (11.7%)."
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_19992.cfm

So, as a preventative against ingesting GMO foods, one should certainly avoid soy and corn, even if it's organic. Hence one major reason to use soy-free and corn-free chicken feed.

Chrys

Chrys Ostrander, Director of Farming Programs
p.e.a.c.h. Community Farms and Gardens

People for Environmental Action and Community Health

p.e.a.c.h. Community Farm at Pine Meadow
10425 S. Andrus Rd.
Cheney, Wa 99004
509-448-3066
chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net
www.peachlocal.com
"Our Fresh Future for Spokane"

  • Re: [Market-farming] gmo - Soy-free, Corn-free Chicken Feed: Why?, Chrys Ostrander, 09/07/2010