market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] coolbot

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dalew Farms" <dalew AT phonenet.ca>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] coolbot
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 06:12:15 -0400

We installed a coolbot this summer because we had been sold a conventional compressor type system that turned out to be undersized and was not doing the job.  (On hot days, our cooler was getting up to just over 20 C, even when we weren't opening the door much.  We installed 25,000 btu window a/c unit with the coolbot, and even though that is a little undersized for the space, its doing an excellent job.  The only time it won't keep things cooled down to 4 C for us is on sunny and 30+ C days when we are harvesting and opening the door lots and have 2 people working inside packing CSA boxes.  (We have a 8' x 26' insulated truck box, with a big 8' roll up door on the end that lets out lots of cold air every time we open it)

So I am super-impressed with the coolbot, and the service from the coolbot folks.  The coolbot is easy to install, and they have great installation instructions and troubleshooting instructions.  We used a brand of A/C that was not on the recomended list, but was also not on the do not use list.  Comfort Air.  It did have a digital temp readout and a plastic temp sensor as instructed.  So far it has worked flawlessly after installation, although we have not gone through a winter here yet.  We have had some nights down to 5 C outside temperature, and that has not caused a problem.  We will probably add a 2nd coolbot and A/C unit next spring, just so that we do have a little bit of capacity to spare, and also as insurance against an A/C breakdown.

We ran into a snag getting the coolbot across the border.  For some reason (probably just because of Murphy's Law, and the fact that we needed ours ASAP), Canada border services ended up having our coolbot for 3+ weeks before they processed it!  Once we realized where our coolbot unit was stuck at, the coolbot folks sent us a 2nd coolbot, that arrived in only 2 days this time, with no extra charge.  Even though this was not their fault, the answer they gave me was that this was not my fault, and that I was expecting the unit to have been there allready so they'd do whatever they could to fix that.  So when the 2nd, err...1st coolbot arrived, we simply returned it.

I hope this helps,

Dave
Northern Ontario, Canada

Where the *high* temperature is forecast to be a high of only 10 C on Sat!  :(