market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Melons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Melons
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:22:15 -0400

Hi,

I just did my first real melon harvest up here in Quebec today (grabbed a handful earlier in the week). I tend to stick with the tried-and-true to make sure I get a harvest. Halona is my standard cantaloupe, but Maverick really impressed me this year – a bit earlier, more consistent size (maybe a bit smaller on average), higher yielding, and better flavour. New Queen is a popular orange watermelon, and Blacktail Mountain is my favourite red. The Snow Leopard honeydew look interesting, but I’ll have to check out the orange ones next year. Edonis charentais melons weren’t ripe yet today. Everything was transplanted into Biotelo plastic on June 9th.

Off to finish market prep!

Rob

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm

24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0

email: rob AT songberry.ca

web: www.songberry.ca

facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"