market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Okra, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Okra, etc.
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:10:57 -0700 (PDT)

Since I don't really want to go outside to work...I thought I'd send off my thoughts on storage temps.  There is a good article with a chart on the ATTRA site--link is below.  It indicates appropriate temps for things like Eggplant, Peppers, Tomatoes, Blackberries, Spinach,....well, just about everything.  It was enlightening for me to discover the optimum temperature and then the maximum storage time for certain things.  I am a small operation and often use my shed and coolbot at about 48 degrees or so to store peppers, eggplants and things that like that temperature range.  When I cover them losely with plastic, I can keep things for a long time and they are very fresh still.  I start picking on Monday or Tuesday for my Saturday market and my produce is still fresher than those who pick things less than twenty four hours before market, but don't do any post-harvest care.

I keep blackberries at 31 degrees and they actually last a week.  I don't sell them that old...only about three or four days, but it is a perfect temperature for them and I always sell every pint of blackberries for $5 in the first half hour of the market.

So knowing these temperatures and finding a way to meet those requirements can go a really long way in having high qualilty produce for sale.  I put the chart on my refrigerator in the work area where we deal with our harvests.  Here is the link to this great ATTRA article....Very comprehensive information, includes ethylene sensativity, best humidity, etc.

Hattie's Garden
31341 Kendale Rd.
Lewes, DE 19958
302-945-0350