market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hardening off Fall Brassica Seedlings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hardening off Fall Brassica Seedlings
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:12:44 -0400

Jay - We are in the same weather pattern and have been hardening brassicas on the east side of a porch.  Two hours of sun the first day then into the shade, several hours the next day and after a week take them from the porch and put them into full sun.  No problem so far, except the groundhogs.  We lost about 60% of our first broccoli planting to them.  Good luck - mac

Quoting Jay Sleichter :
I am needing some ideas or advice.  I have over 500 broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussel Sprout seedlings that need to get planted out soon.  They are growing in my basement grow room in a cool 70-72 degrees.  Outside it is 95-102 with very high humidity. 8-10 day forecast says more of the same.  The night time temps are still in the mid and upper 70's.  I am afraid if I move them out to harden them off, in a high tunnel, it will shock and stress them too much.

Any ideas or do I even need to worry about this.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas