market-farming - [Market-farming] onion mishap

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] onion mishap
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:36:21 -0400

Miscommunication with an employee. Instead of harvesting a few more sweet onions, she and another harvested two rows (40%) of my winter storage onions.  They also peeled a lot for market and short term cooler storage. The onions were no where near ready for harvest - nice size but fat necks, green leaves, etc. Of course, the most disease resistant of my planting and planned for the latest harvest. We're talking 600 feet of onions.

Any advice? I have newly plowed ground I can stick them back in and hope the tops dry up and fall over.  I need to take my garlic out of storage, to make room for some onions that actually had their tops drying, but I can try to make space to put these in.

And any advice on marketing those that are already peeled. I haven't taken time to taste any yet, but I have gorgeous Ailsa Craig and Walla Wallas for sweet onions. I think the shape is distinctive enough to keep them separate, but one concern with the peeled ones is keeping their identities separate.

Not a happy camper.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe