market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bio degradable mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bio degradable mulch
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:57:25 -0400

I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now on all the vegetables I grow under
plastic (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, melons, summer and winter
squash). It's not quite as forgiving or durable as regular black plastic,
and it's more expensive, but the convenience of not having to tear it up and
dispose of it at the end of the season more than compensates for the extra
cost and trouble in my opinion. A few things I've learned:

1) It's best to lay it in cool weather (early mornings work well).
2) Plant it soon after laying it to maximize lifespan.
3) The bed needs to be relatively firm and smooth to prevent tearing and
holes.
4) Aggressive perennials like milkweed and quackgrass will push through.
5) If drip tape is in contact with the plastic, it will disintegrate and
tear where the tape is touching it.
6) How well it holds up depends a lot on the weather (it breaks down
noticeably quicker in hot, wet weather).

It can look a little ragged by the end of the season, especially under less
than ideal circumstances, but by then I figure it's down its job, and it's
easy to plow or till under.

I'm considering experimenting with rolled cover crops or living mulches in
order to reduce costs and improve soil structure versus plastic mulches of
either type, but I'll never go back to regular black plastic.

My two cents,
Rob

Rob Wallbridge
Songberry Organic Farm
24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0
email: rob AT songberry.ca
web: www.songberry.ca
facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"