market-farming - [Market-farming] More on frost free hydrants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Scott Breneman <sbreneman AT yourgoodwill.org>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] More on frost free hydrants
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:24:07 -0400

The ones that we put in 12 years ago and used hard, have mostly lasted. The
newer ones, that didn't get as much use failed.
We have all Campbell hydrants, but looking at the Merril design, it looks
superior, and they claim 1 million uses lifecycle.

At any rate, we didn't realize that hydrants can be repaired from above
ground, but they generally can.
The new plunger costs 3.50 at the hardware store, and Campbell recommends
lubing it very well before installing with veg oil or Vaseline (silicone
probably good too)

Scott