market-farming - [Market-farming] Carrot Weeding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Carrot Weeding
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 21:42:54 -0400

Jay - I haven't tried this in a hoophouse, but outdoors flame-weeding is wonderful! Sow the carrots, sow a few beet seeds at one end. As soon as you see the red hoops of the beet stems emerging, flame the bed. Next day - carrots, no weeds! Beets germinate just a bit faster than carrots, so they indicate when to flame without killing the emerging carrots. After that, we hoe between the rows at the first opportunity, when the carrots are just visible. Then weed and thin to 1" - that is slow - when they are about an inch tall, just showing the first true leaf, ideally. And when the roots are just big enough for salads (1/4" diameter), we weed and thin to 3". Then we wait till we harvest the whole lot. Two weedings. ATTRA has more info on flame-weeding.

Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA, where the high temperatures for June have broken records