market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Poison Ivy!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Poison Ivy!
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:58:20 -0400

On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:06 AM, Steve Diver wrote:

The guy who has land next to me back in Arkansas told an
even wilder story about poison ivy.

A couple decades back he was living in the Ozark hills and
getting poison ivy rashes real bad. He came across an elderly
mountain lady who explained how the locals took care of it.

You "eat" some tiny, young poison ivy leaves when they first
bud out in the spring.

It acts like an immunization.

I have heard of this -- some of the older people in this area told me they'd done this for years.

The problem is: if it doesn't work, you could wind up with poison ivy inside your throat: which can be an emergency condition.

I never had the nerve to try it; and wouldn't recommend it.