market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cucumber Beetle Invasion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cucumber Beetle Invasion
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 03:42:11 +0000

The weed is 'bull nettle' here. A really nasty perennial nightshade
that CPBs love. Seems to spread by underground
runners as well as seed. Also, the only way we can grow eggplant is in
a high tunnel because of CPBs.

We also have 'bean leaf beetles' that look somewhat like striped
cucumber beetles on our beans early, but the damage they do us
minimal. The bad bean pest is the Mexican bean beetle which looks like
an oversized bronzy lady bug, and can be controlled by a beneficial
insect as described earlier. The larvae of this pest are yellow and
spiky looking and they can ruin a bean planting in a heartbeat.

Cucumber beetles come in both the striped and spotted forms here, and
the sticky traps have been effective. For squash bugs, the only thing
that works for us is successive plantings about every 4 weeks.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Sent from my iPod

On May 29, 2010, at 10:17 PM, "clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com"