market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <somersfarm AT dishmail.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 18:40:58 -0400

For many years now, I have sowed my carrots in a 1" to 2" inch trench and
then fill it in with sawdust. I use drip tape and keep it watered every
day...perfect germination every time. No soil compaction...The sawdust
holds the water and never gets hard and crusty. It makes it very easy for
the carrots to poke up through. We have ample sawdust because of the dairy
end of our business. I think the sawdust also suppresses the weeds that
might otherwise pop up before the carrots do. We only do about 500 ft. of
carrots so it might be a little more labor intensive for those of you who do
a lot!
Kathy in Vermont
Somers Family Farm