market-farming - [Market-farming] Hakurei turnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Michael Libsch <mmlibsch AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hakurei turnips
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:29:50 +0000

I have also had good success growing hakurei turnips- they make for a quick crop. For flolks growing in NE, make sure to cover with remay in the spring to protect from root maggots, though. We didn't last spring in NY and lost most of our crop. We also found that they were a bit of a tough sell at the farmers market. People still aren't very familiar with them and can be skeptical when you tell them that they taste better than radishes.

Mike