market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How to interpret a poorly done experiment

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How to interpret a poorly done experiment
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:58:37 -0700

How thoroughly did you mix your potting soil and what ingredients does it
have, Richard? That can make a big difference. Or conversely, how
thoroughly did Johnny's supplier mix their potting soil and what are those
components? If one or both weren't very uniform, you could have had a "hot
spot" with readily available nutrients in the mix that were used up quickly.
Also, the potting mix makeup could make a difference, with one mix having
slower released nutrients than the other. For example...Chilean nitrate,
which has quickly available N vs. alfalfa meal, which is more slowly
released. Or, perhaps the pruning stunted the lettuce plants.

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522