market-farming - [Market-farming] Deer fence and control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wiblin" <slwib AT gtcinternet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Deer fence and control
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:59:30 -0400

Hey Mike and all,

Deer are a huge nuisance here in Appalachia too(for the growing folk).

We have used dogs for years for deer and other 'varmints'....some people don't take kindly to dogs running deer, so I've got woven wire fence all around my property where the dogs can't get out, but they can work on keeping the deer out. I also let my neighbors know that I intentionally use the dogs for deer control.....

I have been lucky enough in my lifetime to possess a dog that did hunt rats in the greenhouse and barn(she was  black lab/germansheperd, God rest her soul) and also another who would go into rat, mole and snake holes after the critters!(Thank God dogs are immune to most snake bites-I didn't know this from the start-my vet told me (after the dog was bitten and had killed the copperhead) that dogs have a natural immunity, but will swell up just from the puncture wound caused by the bite-so It was recommened to  just give her benadryl to bring the swelling down(and keep her airway from swelling shut). I never saw the dogs eat any of the varmints-they  just killed them and then carried them to me for approval, which there was plenty of!:)

thanks for the tip on how the doe's teach patterns....good info.

Lynn Wiblin
Legacy Grace Farm
Belpre, Ohio

We used LGD's for livestock protection but they have also served nicely to
keep deer out of our garden areas, along with smaller destructive creatures
like  raccoons and possum.  Too bad they haven't developed a taste for
rodents.
Kathryn Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 3/28/2010 7:57:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,