market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:42:05 -0500

On Mar 2, 2010, at 10:14 AM, KAKerby AT aol.com wrote:

Regarding the statement below about manure-to-harvest intervals, I'd be curious to know how many folks on this list have attended GAP training, and/or how many people are putting GAP into use.  When I attended an intro session here last month, the recommendation is now 210 days between application of manure and harvest of ANYTHING - roots, leaves, fruits, whatever.  That sure set us back.  We decided that knowing the new guidelines, we couldn't in good conscience expand into a field that would clearly fall between the old 125-day and new 210-day withdrawal period.  One whole field of production - removed from consideration in 2010.  Anyone else weighing those options?
Kathryn Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, WA

Do they have any science whatever behind those recommends?

I haven't been to GAP training: the only sessions I've seen offered take two full days plus travel time and hotel room as they're nowhere near here, and I'm not selling through any route that requires this. (I have downloaded and will look through some of the National GAPS materials from the Cornell.edu web site.)

I was just at a discussion meeting for proposed FDA produce handling standards, and I didn't hear anything there about increasing the manure intervals. I did here (there and elsewhere) that some private GAP programs may be requiring things that are likely to do no good and very likely do considerable harm.

Do you actually need GAP certification for your particular 2010 expected sales methods? and, if so, do you need to get it through that specific program? If not, I'd think twice about not using the field because of a statement made at that one session.