market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seed starting for home gardeners

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Scheffler <pureprairie AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed starting for home gardeners
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:30:14 -0600

Also, as a long time biodynamic greenhouse farmer I wanted to point
out that in biodynamic theory and usually, in my experience, in
practice, weed teas are usually brewed as monocultures ie nettle tea,
comfrey tea, thistle tea and not as a mishmash of whatever weeds fit
in a barrel.

Thank you for the tips, Allan.

Come to think of it, all the biodynamic literature I have seen talks about the mono
culture tea so somehow I didnt pick that one up.   I used about two or three
weeds (dandelion, thistle) in my mix but I will gladly separate them and check the
results.  It's a great concept and I like working with them.

On my property, we are very high in available iron so I don't use molasses (which already has iron)
so I use small amounts of white sugar and complex it as much as I can with other ingredients.

I do like keeping my carbs up, tho.

Do you grab some forested soil and throw that in as well?

Bill