market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] goose eggs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] goose eggs
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:42:06 -0500

I have seen flats or cartons online for goose eggs, but they were not inexpensive (specialty item).  We blew them out and sold a few for crafting. I think that is where the market is, but I have not tapped into it well.  I wrapped a couple up and a box and took to market and put on the table in a basket for $2 and sold maybe a half dozen. I sold a few whole, the same price, to someone who was going to blow them out - eat the egg and have the shell.

Online blown eggs are more than $2 ea in small quantities, but it seems local crafters have made connections with folks who have a goose or two and get the eggs really cheap.

Don't mean to sound negative.  If our market was open earlier (opens mid-June), I would take goose eggs, padded, in clamshells. I think they would sell, if only for the novelty factor.

Cook with a few. Folks will ask if they are different from a chicken egg. The whites are firmer than chicken eggs, which means it is easy to flip an omelet. It also means that sunny side up or over easy is a little rubbery.

Good luck.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe