market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] more weeds...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] more weeds...
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:35:55 -0500

I would think potatoes would give the best ‘clean tillage’ option as long as you don’t have early die back of the haulms. Even then you could spot flame weed the section. I would plant short season varieties but plant them late to give the maximum stalebedding opportunity.

If it was introduced on the surface and has not yet been plowed down  then I would focus on the surface as much as possible. Turning seed in will only force you to do battle over time. I assume the spelt is a cover crop[btw why spelt] I would kill it off asap with surface sweeps or shallow tiller then shallow ridge the residue and surface soil and keep that ridge moving. Or, straight stalebedding.

You are right about the weed, the stuff is a plague. Go after it with everything you have now, rather than later. Otherwise in two years it will be everywhere. Been there done that.

Good luck.

dave

Dave Inglis

www.mahaiweharvest.com