market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Barrel stoves was ice storm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Barrel stoves was ice storm
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 07:30:45 -0600

Greetings,
They have always made two different kits, an air tight and one that wasn't. The one with the rope seal should be air tight, I have used it in my home for almost 10 years now. I do highly recommend that you put the second barrel on the set up, you keep at least 4 times the heat in the building that way. You must be cutting your doors openings in the barrels too large, we have never had to seal ours and we have had to replace the barrels. Perhaps you need a higher chimney if you are getting a back draft?
Bright Blessings,
Kim, Texas

sunnfarm AT netscape.com wrote:

I just bought two new Vogelzang kits and I see they added a rope seal around the door. This helps but I still get more draft than I need. I tried sealing around the door frames with wood stove cement. The stuff works but over time it shrinks and falls out making matters worse. I just except this type of stove as it is since you can't beat the price. I recently installed one of their fancy old fashioned cast iron models in my living room but my better half won't let me use it for fear of burning the house down. So I use it to prop up my banjos and dulcimers. I managed to salvage and old Stoz stove kit they were my favorite I wish someone would make them again... Bob.