market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] kerosene heaters was ice storm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] kerosene heaters was ice storm
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:57:01 -0600

I have used the Kerosun like this with no problems, however, I have also used a kerosene salamander to heat a 3000 sq ft house which was a trade-off.  The fumes from the salamander caused the anti-condensate coating on the new poly to slide right off.  The supplemental heat was fine at night, but on cloudy days no one could work in the house due to fumes if the salamander was needed.  I did wonder if the the exhaust could act as a CO2 supplement.  Most plants were fine-some minor yellowing on perennial grasses.  I did point the salamander towards well-wrapped flats of high temp germinating seeds-peppers etc-which helped germination rates.  (Have to watch that scheme closely of course, but during seeding time, I might as well live in the greenhouse anyway.)  Fumes didn't bother the wretched aphids at all.
Shawnee, zone 5

Does anybody know whether I can run a Kerosun heater in a small, otherwise unheated, greenhouse? (8' x 8', vented only by imperfect fit of cover and/or by opening doors or rolling up bottom of sides.) I don't start using it till well into the spring, but we do occasionally get cold temperatures after that, and the Kerosun is what I have around -- I've been dealing with this up to now by schlepping things back into the house for the night, bringing them in just before the temperatures drop too low.