market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] kerosene heaters was ice storm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] kerosene heaters was ice storm
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:13:12 GMT

We heated our greenhouse with kerosene for a couple of years, that is until
the price of kerosene went through the roof. Our heater is not vented either.
You have to know your limitations I guess. We now heat with diesel. Stinks to
high heaven! But, it works. We mostly have sunny days so the heater doesn't
run during the day. I won't work in the greenhouse if the heater is running,
and my son knows not to ever go in there when the heater is running. It has
never hurt the plants. If we go into an extended period of cloudy days, cold
nights, then I start seeing a bit of yellowing on the leaves, but as soon as
we return to "normal" the plants grow out of it. We do have two exhaust fans
on one end, and I run those and open the door or the back if it is not too
cold to let the fumes out and get fresh air in.
This will be our 8th year of growing this way, and so far it works.
I dream of the day when I can have a "real" greenhouse!
Carla
Perkins, OK

Weight Loss Program
Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!