market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hatfield transplanter and Soil blocks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hatfield transplanter and Soil blocks
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 13:05:42 -0500

I have heavy clay soil and my experience with Hatfield transplanters is that the soil does not usually fall back into the hole and I have to go back with a butter knife or a narrow trowel to kind of scoop the soil from the edges to cover the soil block.  This doesn't take much but it is another step.  With some plants like tomatoes I put about half a cup of compost in the hole to give it an initial boost as well since I have to go back to it anyway.  The "Scoop" I mentioned is pretty much just running the butter knife in a circle to break up the sides, pushing them over the plant.  I've also had a bit of a problem with the transplanter flap that opens the hole bending.  It would be nice if they were a built bit sturdier.  With lighter soil I don't imagine this would be a problem and I still use the transplanter but I doubt it will last very long given the fact that its built a bit too light duty for the job.

Home Improvement Projects
Click here to find experienced pros to help with your home improvement project.

  • Re: [Market-farming] Hatfield transplanter and Soil blocks, Wyatt Jones, 01/01/2010