market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hatfield transplanter and Soil blocks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hatfield transplanter and Soil blocks
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:13:48 -0600

Thanks..I was afraid the flat would stay in the hole.

Mike
Heading for COLD......

Tom & Mel at Limerock wrote:
We have used the Hatfield for two or three years now (small scale). We have the second-larger one as the largest one was out of stock when I ordered/needed it.

Used to transplant from 48 cell flats and it worked well. Have used it to plant some from 36 cell flats and you have to scrunch the root ball and toss (rather than drop) it down the chute.

Sure beats bending over.

-----

Someone else asked about the plastic cut-out. It 'usually' just hangs on at the one edge. Does not seem to get into the plant hole for us. Worst issue I have had is if the transplants are tiny and you get a wind and hard rain the blows the flap over the tiny plant.

Tom
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Near Lake Erie

Will the Hatfield also punch holes in plastic and plant blocks?
Thanks, Tom (central NC)