market-farming - [Market-farming] Microgreens/Sprouts & Clamshells

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: darnell erickson <darnellerickson AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Microgreens/Sprouts & Clamshells
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 04:10:39 -0800 (PST)

Dear Curtis,

I have purchased Pactiv Containers and have had great sucess with them.  As to sprouts/microgreens, the local and state boards of health explained the difference to me when they decided I could not sell sprouts at the farmers market anymore.  Sprouts still have their seeds and are actively growing living organisms.  Microgreens have been cut from their seeds and will not continue to grow.

When I initially discussed selling sprouts at the market with the local board of health, I had to explain my growing and packaging process and was given permission.  This permission was conveyed to our market manager by the BOH as well.  The sprouts caught on, and I started selling 50-75 boxes every Saturday.  Then, unbeknownst to me, the market manager went to the BOH and told them she though they should research it more because she was quite sure that sprouts were a "potentially hazardous food" which cannot be sold at our market without a commercial kitchen license, and commercial refrigeration.

So the day before the next market, in the midst of processing 75 boxes of sproutsI was contacted by the BOH and told to immediately halt both production and selling of the sprouts.  Sprouts are a potentially hazardous food according to the Feds.  Therefore without a commercial kitchen, not allowed in my area of town, nor could I afford to remodel my kitchen, my market income suddenly dropped by several hundred dollars a week.  And I have almost 50# of seed which will go bad long before I am able to eat it on my own.  Fortunately I was able to sell the 2 cases of clamshells to a local blueberry grower at cost

I would highly recommend investigating the rules and regs in your area regarding microgreens and sprouts and get something in writing before you spend alot of money.  And even if it is in writing, remember, they could be wrong.  So learn the laws yourself.  An expensive lesson I learned too late.

Darnell Caffoni
Boxwood Gardens
Cape Cod

Message: 1