market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato ground prep

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato ground prep
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:37:37 -0500

Sora - Thanks so much for taking time to reply. I guess the rest of the tomato growers on this list are tied up in their catalogs right now! ;-) Can you give me brand names and sources for the items you have recommended? Thanks -Allan in WV

>Allan...
In the past I have gotten good results (here Zone 4/5) by doing the
tomatoes in raised beds and digging them in up to second leaves of 2
foot tall starts. I always added some bone meal and lots of finished
compost.
I then foliar fed with fish fertilizer every 2 weeks. This year I tried
some pelletized fish fertilizer in the holes also and instead of foliar
feeding put a good mulch of the pellets around each plant. As it gets wet
it slow releases nutrients. The end result this year was significantly
better. I also talked with another local commercial organic grower who
also tried the pelletized fertilizer with great results. I also used it
for the starts instead of the regular foliar feed and it yielded the best
starts I've ever done. And....bonus...it's Super Easy!!
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics, N. Id.