market-farming - [Market-farming] Pie Pumpkins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pie Pumpkins
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 19:09:24 -0500

I would argue that a pie pumpkin is one bred for culinary use, primarily pies and that there are many.  The Sugar Pie is one but then there is the Naples Long, New England long, and many others.  Characteristics of a pie pumpkin in my mind are a richer sweeter flavor and better texture, not stringy, than ones not specifically bred for eating the flesh.  Many people around here use Buttercup squash for what they call pumpkin pies because they prefer the flavor and they make great pies.  I think many squash such as Butternuts also make great pies and are used quite a bit in certain parts of the country but then they call it a squash pie.  Also it seems there is some dispute as to what species a squash can belong to be called a true pumpkin but nobody seems to agree about that either.

Wyatt Jones
Jamestown Ohio

Pompians at breackfast
and Pompians at Noon,
if it wasn't for Pompians
We'd soon be undoon

(old Colonial saying)

The Happy Virus

I caught the happy virus last night
When I was out singing beneath the stars.
It is remarkably contagious -
So kiss me.

Hafiz

Top Bathroom Remodelers
Get up to 4 free bathroom remodel estimates today. No obligation!