market-farming - [Market-farming] 'Tis almost the season for ag conferences, and this one is FABULOUS!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "High Tunnels Listserv" <HIGHTUNNELS AT LISTSERV.KSU.EDU>, <KySA AT yahoogroups.com>, "market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "SANET Listserv" <SANET-MG AT LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
  • Cc: PasturePoultry <PasturePoultry AT yahoogroups.com>, homesteadhogs AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [Market-farming] 'Tis almost the season for ag conferences, and this one is FABULOUS!
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:36:55 -0500

Good afternoon folks!

I don't know about you all, but we are finally getting close to the end of our outdoor season and are looking forward to a less busy time on the farm.  One of the things we really enjoy about the cool season is that it allows us the time to evaluate this year's efforts and start planning improvements for next year.  One of the ways we learn about new techniques is to go to some conferences.  One of the best that we know of - if not THE best - is the Practical Tools and Solutions for Sustaining Family Farms Conference that SSAWG offers each year.  This year it is again going to be in beautiful Chattanooga, Tennessee, January 20-23, 2010.  There will be short courses (Paul and I will be teaching one on high tunnels), interactive mini-courses, and field trips to local outstanding farming operations as pre-conference offerings.  Then two days of fabulous sessions, a Taste of Tennessee dinner, lots of vendors with the things you really want to look at in person rather than a catalog,  a silent auction that always has some really cool items (last year we bought an electric salad spinner and some wool roving), and perhaps most importantly, the assemblage of some of the best minds in sustainable agriculture in the South for all the hallway discussions.  The selection of sessions is so rich that the organizers are suggesting everyone come with a partner so you can split up and not miss anything.

So, come to Chattanooga in January and join us.  Chattanooga is a beautiful city and the people are soooo nice!  There are free electric shuttle buses that leave from in front of the conference hotel every 5 minutes and go downtown.  It's a lot of fun to ride them and explore all the great places to eat and cool shops. Last year we parked our truck when we arrived, and got back in it when we left.

I guarantee that you'll have the time of your life and go back with many ideas for improving your farming operation.  All the details are here:   http://www.ssawg.org/conference-.html     The short courses and field trips often fill up fast, so don't put it off.  Wouldn't it make a great Christmas gift for yourself or a best-loved farmer?

I know it's early, and I'll probably remind you all again in a few weeks, but I also know it can take time to arrange to be away from your farm for a few days. So get busy thinking about how you can join us for this great educational time (and fun too!).

See you in January in Chattanooga!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

  • [Market-farming] 'Tis almost the season for ag conferences, and this one is FABULOUS!, Wiediger, Alison, 09/30/2009